Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 1 - Act One Writing Seminar

Day 1: June 21, 2010

Whew! What a day! Got up at 5:00am, left home at 6:00am. Got to Denver International Airport around 8:00. Checked my bag, got through security, and was at my gate by 8:20. Took off 9:05 and got to LA 10:50 am (local time). Shuttle got me to the retreat center by about 1:00. Ate lunch. Wrote my Mom.

3:00 – checked in at Act One

4:00 – 6:00 Opening and ice breakers with Jack Gilbert.

6:00 – 7:00 Dinner

7:00 – 9:00 Barbara Nicolosi Harrington: Act One History, Values, Philosophy, & Keynotes. Barbara is a founder of Act One and the Chair of the Board. She gave a historical overview of Act One, core values, mission. (And she was wonderfully encouraging and inspiring.)

9:00 – 10:00 Writing exercises with Vicki Peterson

Today’s best quote: Barbara Nicolosi Harrington spoke about “What is a “Christian movie”?

Barbara says foundational to this course is Flannery O’Conner’s thought (now…this is Dianne’s paraphrase!) that a “redemptive story” is not one in which the character is redeemed; it’s one in which the audience is redeemed. That’s a Christian film.

Now. Me. To bed. Waaay tired.

4 comments:

Patti Shene said...

Dianne, sounds like you are in for a great adventure and a wonderful learning experience. May God be with you every step of the way. I'm so excited for you!

Sherri Langton said...

I'm so thrilled for you, Dianne! I recall our conversation last month in Estes Park and you telling me about your journey to this point. I am an avid supporter of Act One and Hollywood Prayer Network and will be praying for you these 2 weeks.

Say hi to Karen Covell if you see her. I interviewed her a few years ago for the Bible Advocate.

Dianne E. Butts said...

Patti, thank you so much for your excitement for me! And for your prayer. You know, there have been so many details that show me God IS with me every step of the way. Thank you and God bless.

Dianne E. Butts said...

Sherri! Thanks for tuning in. I know how you support Act One and Hollywood in general. Thank you SO much for you prayers.

Jim and Karen Covell were here tonight speaking! And I went and talked to Karen to arrange with her to get some quotes. I'll be writing at least two articles, one for Encounter and the other for Enrichment Journal (online version).

The other speaker that was here with the Covells was Shun Lee Fong, the director of Hollywood Connect.

The Covells will be back on Friday, so I will definitely deliver your message.