9:00 – 10:00 Wrap up
We heard from faculty members Vicki Peterson and Terrance Berry and PEEP classmate Caleb Brown—about his attempt to run a marathon on his own, and how he got into trouble doing so. This business is a marathon, not a sprint, and we need help getting there.
10:00 – 12:00 Alumni Panel: If I Knew Then What I Know Now
- Scott Teems, writer/director of That Evening Sun starring Hal Holbrook, releasing on DVD September 7th. Based on the short story by William Gay. (I recommend this movie. Enjoyed it very much. It will release with two covers. Scott says buy the one with the night-time cover (it's better!).
- Jimmy Hornbeak, production and marketing company.
- Gillian Fritzche
- Nate Scoggins, writer/director of The Least of These showing on Starz, available through NetFlix.
- Cheryl McKay, wrote the screenplay for The Ultimate Gift.
- Clare Sera
- Sam Curphey, entertainment attorney
In answer to the question, How do we balance serving our church and others who want us to use our time and skill for free? (I know you writers reading this can relate.)
From Gillian: If it begins to be an obligation or I start to feel resentful, that’s a sign I need to say to the staff, “I need to step back a little.” If it is given freely and joyfully, that’s a good thing.
12:00 – 3:00 Alumni Barbecue in Griffith Park.
Met lots of past alums and got to mingle and talk and laugh and get to know writers and directors and producers and more. For us newbies, this was our graduation party.
I was only able to do the 2-week writing seminar this go-round. Six of us writers are 2-weekers. The rest of our classmates are staying either for the next 8 weeks or 14 months. The 8-weekers will attend class/mentoring sessions from 9:00 – 5:00 for the next 8 Saturdays, plus homework assignments and internships at Hollywood companies. The rest are doing the entire 14-month certificate program.
Hard to believe. It’s a wrap!