Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tonight is "Verse Night"!

I know what you're thinking: What the heck is "Verse Night"?


Last summer when I was attending the Act One Program, some of my classmates and I got together as a team to enter the "168 Hour Film Project." This is a speed-filmmaking competition. We get a short time (168 hours = 1 week) to produce a short (11-minute) film based on a Bible verse! I hoped I could contribute something of value by helping the team in Los Angeles write the script from here in Colorado.

So before Christmas, our team's leader, producer Nancy Bevins, got all available team members together by phone to get the ball rolling. She asked each of us what locations we had access to. When it came my turn, I reminded her that, um, I'm in Colorado, ya know? So . . . She said, "Yeah. What locations do you have?"

I said, "Well, um, we have some mountains out here."

The conversation continued and about five minutes later I said, "Hey! I know something fairly unique that I get you in Colorado: Bikers!"

One thing led to another and guess what? We're filming our short in Colorado. The whole team is coming to my house!!

Nancy and I have been working hard to get things ready for cameras to roll on February 17th and, boy, it's a ton of work. But hey, what an education I'm getting! I'm getting to see--and take part in--the whole production side of filmmaking! Something this little writer never thought she'd get to do. Most people only get an education like this in Hollywood. But for me, Hollywood is coming to my house. Literally!

So, what is "Verse Night"? All 168 Film Teams are assigned their own unique Bible verse that we are to base our story on. Bible verses are assigned ten days before production week--this year February 6th. So, around the end of the Super Bowl, we'll get a phone call and the folks at 168 Headquarters will tell us what our verse is. That's Verse Night.

I have to tell you that there is a lot more going on at my house. Like the publishing of my Deliver Me book. But there's even more totally wild unbelievable things going on. I'll tell you more later. Right now I'm pretty swamped!

I would really like to blog every day about the 168 Film Project, like I did throughout Act One last summer, and I'm going to give it a shot. But honestly, I don't know if I'll be able to keep up. I'll try. So stay tuned. I'll let you know what verse we get!

  • We need a short budget to make our short film in the short amount of time. If you'd like to donate to the project, you may do so here: Harley Heat. Thank you!

No comments: