Friday, August 13, 2010

Another Publishing Agreement came in!

If you're new to this blog, I'm working hard to self-publish my new book of true stories of unplanned pregnancy. The title (unless I change my mind!) is Deliver Me: Hope, Help, and Options when You're Facing an Unplanned Pregnancy.

I've been working on this book for a very long time, collecting stories, working out details... Now it's time to wrap it up and finish it off! And I'm working hard toward that end.

One thing I need is for everyone who has contributed a story to give me permission to use it in writing. That's what the Publishing Agreement is. I've been working hard to get a Publishing Agreement signed by all the writers who contributed stories. Some have been more challenging than others--for a variety of reasons. But I'm getting close! This is the big countdown to getting the final Publishing Agreements in.

I had another Publishing Agreement arrive in my mailbox yesterday, so here is where we stand today:

Total Contributors: 41

Publishing Agreements received from: 30

Still need Publishing Agreements from: 11

This blog is also about publishing and self-publishing. I've been a published writer for about twenty years now, so I've learned a thing or two that I want to share with other wannabe authors. For instance, if you're writing a book that has other people contributing material, I highly recommend that you put some kind of agreement on paper and ask them to sign it. I'm no attorney, but I think it should include any compensation the writer will be getting (are you paying them? how much? will they get a copy of the book when it comes out?) and state that they are granting you permission to use their story.

Speaking of attorney's, because the nature of my book is very sensitive with many stories having concerns for privacy, I had my attorney help me create my Publishing Agreement in order to make sure I'm covered. You may not need to hire an attorney, but if your topic is sensitive with potential to have privacy issues like mine, you might want to consider it.

Whoo-hoo! One more P.A. in!  Eleven to go.

No comments: